It's a house out of a dream!

It's a house out of a dream!
Unknown Carpenter Gothic home

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Rare interior view of an 1880's Portland Oregon home

  I bought this cabinet card first because I love period interior views and second because it said it was in Portland. I did a little digging and discovered that the house still exists! It's been converted into 4 apartments but it still stands, and less some vinyl windows, looks pretty original.
  I started with the information on the back First: "A little corner of home" and then "Aunt Ellen Wait's living room at 555 E Oak". I was able to to a little digging using the Historical Oregonian archive and the Sanborn maps to determine that the house is 1235 SE Oak St (ca. 1885). Images of my Oregonian research indicating how I found the cross street and the Sanborn map page showing the original address included below as well as a aerial view of the home today.








No comments:

Post a Comment