It's a house out of a dream!

It's a house out of a dream!
Unknown Carpenter Gothic home

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Beautiful basalt stone porch. Possible Old Portland OR home

I purchased that real photo post card recently and it just has a real Portland feel. All that's written on the back is: "This is a picture of out house. Melvin is Standing on the porch". No address no family name. You can however see that the address was 121. IF this is Portland (and I do mean IF) it's clearly taken before 1931 when the city was renumbered. I was able to determine with about an hours worth of eye strain that there were 43 addresses in Portland before 1931 that were "121". I individually googled and then if necessary portlandmaps.com'd the addresses to see what I could find. Of the 43 I found no certain matches. The house is VERY VERY similar the the home that currently houses Rimsky-Korsakoffee House but there were some slight period details that rule it out (probably). 2 of the potential addresses also match the 2 block swath that is now the Belmont Townhomes. There is a spattering of some other addresses that are either eaten up by freeway projects including 2 near the I-405 on ramp from I-5 as well as some parking lots and modern commercial spaces. A total of 14 possible locations using the pre-1931 "121" address. Or again, it's not even Portland. Either way it's a pretty cool home!

1 comment:

  1. I don't think you're far off with Rimsky-Korsakoffee. There were several houses very like this on the block south of St. Francis Church before it was their parking lot and then their park.

    ReplyDelete